|Next Cookbook >|
1918: Recipes for War Breads
Dr. D. Jayne & Son, Philadelphia
…The National Food Administration has issued regulations curtailing the use of wheat, or “white” flour, and has suggested the use of other grains and flours as substitutes, and to be used in conjunction with a limited proportion of wheat flour.
Some of these substitues are not readily procurable, and for that reason, only those listed herewith have been selected for use in the following recipes, as it is believed that most of them can be procured at any time from dealers in food products.
..In the recipes that follow, unless otherwise noted,
- A cup is the standard 4-ounce measure–level full.
- A tablespoon is the standard 3-dram measure–level full.
- A teaspoon is the standard 1-dram measure–level full.
- Oatmeal and Cornmeal, for better results, should be boiled in three times the quantity of water and cooled to lukewarm before using.
- When substitues are boiled a less quantity of water may be used in making dough.
- Don’t be afraid to use cooked rice if you are making bread. In corn bread it can be used in a half and half proportion.
Arcadian Valley Bread
1 cup fine cornmeal
1 cup rolled oats
2 cups hot water
2 cups hot milk
1/2 cup brown sugar or molasses
Mix and let stand until cool; then add 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon lard, 1/2 yeast cake; add flour enough to be able to knead. Let rise like any other bread. Makes 3 large loaves.
Corn Muffins without Milk or Eggs
2 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Water to make a medium batter–about 2 cups. 2 tablespoons melted shortening–beat well; 2 teaspooons baking powder added the last thing. Have oven hot. This makes eight muffins.
Rice Pie Crust
Line a greased pie plate with cold boiled rice, bring the rice well over the edge of the pan and shaping it with a spoon dipped in milk. Bake the crust in a moderate oven until slightly brown. Use like any pastry for a one-crust pie.
One 1918 original cookbook is available, Recipes for War Breads. $35.00. The cooking booklet is in fair condition with folded page corners, stains, creased pages, and mellowed interior. All pages present. 32-pages. Click “Add to Cart.”